Gov. Cuomo: All 17 Miners Are Doing Okay

January 7, 2016
 
ALBANY, NY – Governor Andrew Cuomo issued a statement saying that the 17 miners who were trapped underground in Tompkins county last night, and rescued this morning, are all in good health. The governor says he’s directed a team of inspectors to do a full investigation, and the governor says that anyone potentially at fault will be held accountable.
 
Full Statement From Gov. Andrew Cuomo:
 
“Earlier this morning, 17 miners became trapped in an underground mine car at the Cargill Salt Mines in Tompkins County, New York. Following a coordinated rescue effort that spanned multiple hours and involved emergency personnel from throughout the region, all 17 individuals have been rescued and are in good health.
 
“I have directed a team of inspectors from the Office of Emergency Management, Office of Fire Protection, and the Department of Labor’s Division of Safety and Health to the site to do a full investigation into the circumstances surrounding last night’s incident. The health and safety of New York’s workforce is paramount and every step will be taken to ensure this incident is not repeated in the future, and anyone potentially at fault is held accountable.
 
“On behalf of all New Yorkers, I want to thank the dedicated first responders who worked tirelessly through the night to ensure the safe return of these miners. This is the perfect example of New Yorkers coming together in times of need, and I am grateful for the efforts of all those involved in this operation.”