August 18, 2020
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has announced that gyms and fitness centers can reopen in New York starting August 24. “Facilities that reopen will be subject to rigorous health and safety standards and all gyms and fitness centers will be able to open by September 2”, the governor’s office stated.
Hornell Mayor John Buckley: “This is long overdue. I’ve been advocating for the YMCA and local gyms to be allowed to reopen and resume fitness classes for the last several weeks.”
Below are the governor’s rules for gyms and fitness centers to reopen:
• Capacity: 33% occupancy limit.
• Access: Sign-in with contact information and health screening required.
• PPE: Appropriate face coverings required at all times.
• Distancing: 6 feet of separation at all times.
• Hygiene/Cleaning: Cleaning and disinfection supplies made available to customers; shared equipment cleaned after every use; staff must also be available to clean and disinfect equipment in between uses; rental equipment must be cleaned and disinfected between customer use.
• Classes: By appointment/reservation only; maximum class capacity capped at number of people that can adhere to the 6-feet social distancing rules, but in no case more than 33% of the typical class size (i.e., leave stations, cycles, etc. vacant); classes should be scheduled to allow additional time for cleaning and disinfection in between each session.
• Amenities: Water bottle refill stations permitted, but not shared water fountains; communal showers are closed, but individual showers/stalls can remain open so long as they are cleaned in between use.
• Air Handling Systems: Gyms should operate at MERV-13 or greater; if they are unable to operate at that level, they must have heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) professional document their inability to do so and adopt additional ventilation and mitigation protocols from American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
• Inspection: Local health departments shall inspect before or within two weeks of the gym/fitness center opening to ensure compliance.