January 16, 2023
STATEMENT FROM STEUBEN COUNTY EMERGENCY SERVICES:
Today, gas service was loss to approximately 600 NYSEG customers in the Town of Wayne in Steuben County as well as Town of Tyrone in Schuyler County and Town of Barrington in Yates County. The outage could last several days and residents and businesses should prepare now and stay informed. Account holders without gas in the affected areas that have questions should call (800) 572-1121 The Steuben County Office of Emergency Services, local Town Officials and State agencies are assisting
NYSEG during the restoration efforts.
• Warming Centers are available at:
o Tyrone Fire Department 3600 State Route 226, Tyrone NY 14887
Open until further notice.
o Hammondsport Fire Department 8521 State Route 54, Hammondsport NY 14840
Open until 4:30PM 1/16/23
• Stay informed regarding reconnection status and plan accordingly.
• Conserve hot water stored in hot water heater. Remember new water entering the water heater will not
• Call NYSEG at 1-800-572-1121 for utility related information.
• 911 in the event of an emergency.
The Office of Emergency Services reminds all residents of the following safety tips:
• Avoid the use of propane, kerosene, torpedo or other heat producing devices inside your home. These
appliances used to produce heat, require various forms of fuel to burn; however they can produce
deadly carbon monoxide that can lead to certain death if exposed for any duration of time.
• Make sure smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are operational by testing them and replacing
• Use extreme caution when operating electrical space heaters. Make sure to create a minimum of 36″
circumstance around any space heater being used to warm your home.
• Do not overpower electrical power strips or connect more than one extension cord to an outlet. Turn
off all electrical appliances when not in use.
• If using a fireplace to heat your home, be sure to use a metal screen or fireplace cover to preventing
burning embers from entering your living space.
• For those using electric stoves, be mindful not to leave hand towels or muffs on a hot or burning stove
grill. You don’t necessarily need an open flame to ignite combustible materials.
• Make certain that you and your family have practiced your home evacuation plan and that everyone
knows how to safely escape and are familiar