January 14, 2022
From Alfred-Almond Central Superintendent Tracie Bliven:
I am pleased to announce that on December 15, 2021, the Board of Education appointed Mr. Christopher Smith to the new School Security Officer position at Alfred-Almond Central School. Please join me in giving him a warm welcome to our District. Mr. Smith assumed his duties on January 3, 2022.
Mr. Smith recently retired after a 33-year career with the New York State Police. He comes to us with a depth of diverse experiences, including having served as a former School Resource Officer in a local school district. He holds the Civil Service title of School Security Officer, albeit the district intends to view this position not only for security, but also as a pro-active resource to students, faculty, staff and administration on school-related matters. Mr. Smith will wear school logo apparel and will carry a firearm, which he will re-certify with twice per year.
An overview of the duties and responsibilities he will hold include, but are not limited to, the following:
• provide security for students and staff within the buildings and grounds
• conduct student misconduct investigations and support administration with reports
• monitor the district and bus surveillance systems
• serve as a role model to students, especially in terms of appropriate behavior and respect
• monitor and support chronic absentees (including home visits, if necessary)
• attend after school functions, as deemed necessary
• counsel students either individually or as a group on school and non-school safety topics including social media usage, drug abuse prevention, etc.
• promote a safe learning environment and deter misconduct through high visibility and developing positive rapport with students
• serve as a member of the District Safety Committee
• communicate and maintain positive relationships with law enforcement
We are fortunate to have Mr. Smith join our team and look forward to the positive contributions he and this position will provide our AACS educational community.
I hope this new year brings you all much-deserved health, happiness and peace.
Superintendent of Schools
Message from the